October 22, 2007
Sticky sweet mineral rich striking black sesame candy - a fun treat for Halloween too.
Ingredients / Directions:
- Grind and set aside:
1 c back sesame seeds
- Combine in a heavy pot:
1/4 c honey (or agave nectar)
1/4 c blackstrap molasses
- Boil and cook to the hard ball stage (250-266F or 121-130C).
- Remove from heat and stir in ground sesame seeds.
- Sprinkle another 1/4 c black sesame seeds on a silicone mat (or parchment paper).
- Put the hot candy on top, cover with another silicone mat, and roll to flatten the candy a bit.
- Remove the top mat, sprinkle more sesame seeds on top, put the mat back on, and roll outwards to desired thickness.
- Peel warm candy off mat and move to cutting board.
- Cut into desired shapes (I cut mine into strips, put them on their sides and bunched them).
- Store in a covered container with parchment/wax paper or plastic wrap between layers.