Chocolate Chip Raspberry Brownies
From the hands and heart of Kurt Frost in the kitchen of Sugar Ridge Retreat Centre. These are his famous brownies!
¾ c. soft whole wheat flour
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
¾ - 1 c. unbleached or Demera sugar
3 tbsp. cocoa
½ c. apple sauce
2 very ripe bananas, mashed
1 tsp. vanilla
¾ c. chocolate chips
½ c. chopped walnuts
1 c. raspberries, quartered
Preheat oven to 350˚F.
Grease 8-inch, square baking pan.
Combine dry ingredients in large mixing bowl.
Mash bananas in small mixing bowl.
Add apple sauce and vanilla.
Pour mixture into large bowl and mix until combined.
Mix in chocolate chips, walnuts and raspberries.
Pour mixture into prepared baking pan.
Bake for 30 – 40 minutes.
(Look for dryness of top of brownies and if slightly pulling away from
sides of dish after 30 min. If not, leave for a few minutes more.)
• Amount of sugar can be adjusted to taste. (Even less than ¾ c if desired.)
• Don’t add full amount of applesauce all at once. Batter should be
thick and wet, but not runny. Add more applesauce if too dry.
• Can substitute sunflower seeds for walnuts or do a mixture of the two.
• Recipe can easily be doubled… usually the preferred size once you taste them!
• Try recipe in spring form pan and sprinkle top with icing sugar before serving.