Fresh Fig & Blueberry Clafoutis
A beautiful variation of this wheat-free (+ gluten-free) clafoutis, using fresh black mission figs and fresh blueberries. Technically called a flognarde, this is my favorite fruit combination.
Combine the following ingredients in a bowl and beat lightly with a whisk until well combined, but not foamy. Be a little bit generous with the flour and starch measurements:
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 c natural yogurt (or milk)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp light agave syrup (or light maple syrup, or very mild honey)
- 2 Tbsp very mild honey (or agave syrup, or light maple syrup)
- 1/4 c fine ground rice flour (or corn flour)
- 2 Tbsp tapioca starch (or corn starch)
- 1/4 tsp salt
Generously butter a pie plate (I use a standard sized glass pie plate), and sprinkle 1 Tbsp sugar on the buttered pan. To this, add:
- 2 c fresh blueberries (if using frozen, make sure they are de-thawed)
Next, cut in half:
- 4-8 fresh figs (I use black mission figs)
*Brush melted butter on the cut side of the figs. (*optional)
Pour batter over the blueberries.
Arrange figs cut-side up in batter.
*Sprinkle 1tsp of fine sugar over the figs. (*optional)
Bake in a pre-heated oven on the middle-lower rack at 350 for about 40 minutes, or until puffy and golden brown. Rotate half way through baking.
Allow to cool down to lukewarm before slicing. Enjoy warm, at room temperature, or cold. Great for dessert, breakfast, or a snack. Cover and refrigerate any leftovers.