Pecan Gingerbread Biscotti
A very spicy crunchy twice-baked cookie: the spice must flow.
- 2 c whole spelt flour (or wheat)
- 1/2 c whole kamut flour
- 1/4 tsp soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 3 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- 1 Tbsp oil (use to coat the measure before adding the sticky ingredients)
- 1/3 c molasses
- 1/3 c honey (or 1/3 c marmalade and no extract or rind)
- 1/2 tsp orange extract or 1/2 orange zest
Combine wet and dry unill just mixed.
Then fold in:
- 1 1/2 c pecans
- or a total of 1 1/2 c mixed: pecans, walnuts, pepitas
With wet hands, form into 2 logs on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
Bake at 350 for 20-25min - should crack on top and spring back to touch.
Remove and wait about 10min. Slice into 2-3cm (3/4-1") cookies.
Place flat on cookie sheet and bake at 325 for 20-30min - till crisp. (Flip each cookie half way through baking.)
You can also bake cookies on a cooling rack for 10-20min - till crisp.
When cool, store in a covered container. Will keep for weeks. Lovely with espresso or tea, great for dipping or crunching.