Sprouted Sunflower Cornbread
A rich, dense, bread with a lovely crust.
- 1/4 - 1/3 c raw hulled sunflower seeds at room temperature overnight (or for 5 hours). Your seeds should germinate/start to sprout.
- Drain and puree in blender with 3/4 c water.
To this, blend in:
- 2 eggs
- *1-2 Tbsp honey, agave syrup, or maple syrup (*optional)
- *1-2 Tbsp melted butter or olive oil (*optional)
- 1 c cornmeal
- 1 c whole spelt flour (or wheat)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
Preheat the oven to 415.
Heat about 1Tbsp of butter or olive oil in the loaf pan in the oven. Remove and coat inside of pan.
Mix wet and dry until just combined. Pour into hot buttered pan. Bake for 25 - 30 min - until golden on top. Let sit for about 15min, then remove from pan.
Wonderful warm with butter, guacamole, marmalade, or any good sweet or savory spread. Can be thickly sliced and toasted or grilled the following days.